Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.
Music is also a powerful tool to denounce abuse against women. In this link we found a useful class resource for our library project about gender roles.
Two groups of second year ESO have attended the activity.
We listened to songs by Whitney Houston, Pink, Aretha Franklin, Christina Aguilera, Suzanne Vega.
• http://16days.thepixelproject.net/the-pixel-project-selection-2013-16-songs- about-violence-against-women-and-staying-strong-and-positive/
• Information about:
o Gender violence
o Pixel Project
• Lyrics of some of the songs
• Introduction of the topic by the teacher (group discussion)
• Brief information about the project
• Listening and discussion of each song
• Final activity: answer some reflection questions.
Final activity (questions)
• What kind of woman is shown in the song (name of the song)?
• What situation is reflected in the song (name of the song)?
• Does this kind of woman represent what society expects from her?
• What do you think is the aim of the authors of these songs?
• How do you think these songs influence the listeners?
• Do you think these songs motivate a change in women and men’s attitude towards gender violence?
• What do you think is the aim of these songs?